This topic describes how to install StorNext File System (SNFS) and StorNext Storage Manager (SNSM) together as a complete package on a Linux Metadata Controller (MDC). Install both SNFS and SNSM for storage systems that require policy-based data movement (for example, systems that use the Replication feature or include tape drives or libraries or to use the StorNext Linux GUI).
Quantum recommends performing a full StorNext install on a Linux MDC, with the StorNext GUI and StorNext Storage Manager. This provides a user-friendly interface, and the ability to use archiving.
If you do not need Storage Manager components or the StorNext GUI, you can perform a Linux SNFS-Only MDC Installation and Configuration.
Note: The Storage Manager component of StorNext can only be installed on Linux systems. For Windows installation, you can perform a Windows SNFS-Only MDC Installation and Configuration.
Once the StorNext File System is installed, you can configure it using the StorNext Configuration Wizard. To configure StorNext, you will enter license information and create one or more file systems. In addition, on Metadata Controllers (MDCs) running StorNext Storage Manager, you can add storage devices and media, create storage policies, and set up e-mail notifications. To access the Configuration Wizard, use the Web-based GUI to access StorNext running on an MDC.
To ensure successful operation, do the following tasks before installing StorNext:
- Make sure the MDC meets all operating system and hardware requirements (see System Requirements).
- Make sure all storage devices are correctly configured and are visible to the MDC (see Getting Ready to Install)
- (Optional) Run the pre-installation script to check for available disk space and view recommended locations for support directories (see Run the Pre-Installation Script).
When you are ready to install StorNext File System and Storage Manager on the MDC, run the installation script (see Run the StorNext Installation Script).
See the following for additional information.
- System Requirements
- Getting Ready to Install
- Run the Pre-Installation Script
- Run the StorNext Installation Script
- Post-Installation Steps
- Obtain and Install StorNext Licenses – GUI-based Appliances and Customer-supplied MDCs
- Convert to a High Availability (HA) System
- Configure StorNext Using the StorNext GUI
- Linux Device Mapper Multipath Support