The User Accounts option on the Tools menu allows you to add new StorNext users and modify permissions for existing users. User Accounts is also where you change the administrator's password. At any time you can update the information displayed by clicking Refresh.
On the Tools menu, click User Accounts. The Tools >User Accounts page appears. All existing users and the admin are shown.
Click New. The Tools >User Accounts > New page appears.
In the User Name field, type the name the new user will enter at the User ID field when he or she logs on to StorNext.
In the Password field, type the password the new user will enter when logging on to StorNext.
- In the Confirm Password field, re-type the Password.
In the Session Timeout field, type a number, and then select Minutes or Hours as unit of time measurement from the drop-down. The Session Timeout specifies the predetermined amount of time that should elapse before the user is logged out of the system. The default is 30 minutes, and the valid range is from 10 minutes to 12 hours.
Note: Access to the Session Timeout feature is available when a user has the Manage Users privilege checked within the Admin Functions section.
(Optional) Select the Change Password Policy check box to edit the password policy. The default password policy must contain at least 1 character. By changing the default password policy, you can add more options such as New Minimum Length, Uppercase Letter, Lowercase Letter, and Digit or Special Character to the password policy. As you modify the password policy, the New Password Policy text is updated to reflect your changes.
Note: Only accounts with the Manage Password Policy access privilege can edit the password policy. Any changes only affect future password updates.
- Roles are grouped according to Admin Functions, Operator Functions and General User Functions. You can automatically pre-select all the functions for one of these three roles by clicking at the Access Control field Admin Defaults, Operator Defaults, General User Defaults or Web Services. Selecting one of these roles for the new user makes it easy for you to automatically add or remove functions.
Select all the different roles you want the new user to have:
Download Client Software
Manage Email Notifications
Manage Email Server
Manage File Systems
Manage Network Settings
Manage Object Storage Settings Manage Password Policy
Set Date and Time
Stop/Start System Components
Cancel Software Requests
Manage Admin Alerts
Manage Drive Pools
Manage Storage Disks
Manage Storage Manager
Perform File Actions
Perform Library Operator Actions
Perform Media Actions
Perform Storage Component Actions
Run Capture State
Run Health Checks
Use Web Services (if enabled, the Web Service Access Controls becomes available)
Web Service Access Controls
- File Control: Used for all file related web services. Select one of the following: Read-Write, Read-Only, or Disabled.
- Policy Control: Used for all policy related web services. Select one of the following: Read-Write, Read-Only, or Disabled.
- Destination Control: Used for all web services that deal with some form of media. Select one of the following: Read-Write, Read-Only, or Disabled.
- System Control: Used for all system related web services. Select one of the following: Read-Write, Read-Only, or Disabled.
Read-Write: You can query information and all perform create/edit/update/delete operations either on files or media.
Read-Only: You can only query information for files or media.
Disabled: You cannot perform any operations including querying information.
For example, a file information call requires File-Control and Read-Only access, but a retrieve or store call requires File-Control and Read-Write access.
When you are satisfied with the permissions you have assigned, click Apply to save your changes. To exit without saving, click Cancel.
When a message informs you that the new user was successfully added, click OK.
- From the Tools > User Accounts page, select the user whose information you want to view, and then click View. A page displays the parameters for the selected user.
- When you are finished viewing user profile information, click Back to return to the User Accounts page.
From the Tools >User Accounts page, select the user whose information you want to modify, and then click Edit.
If you are editing the admin user account information, you are prompted to enter and confirm the current password, and confirm that you want to modify the admin user account information. When prompted, click Yes to proceed.
As necessary, change the user’s password and modify permissions by selecting or deselecting roles.
Note: Only an admin user can change the admin password.
When you are satisfied with the changes you have made, click Apply to save your changes. To exit without saving, click Cancel.
When a message informs you that the new user was successfully modified, click OK.
From the Tools >User Accounts page, select the user you want to delete, and then click Delete.
When the confirmation message appears, click Yes to proceed, or No to return to the User Accounts > [admin name] page without saving.
Note: You cannot delete the admin user account.
When a message informs you that the new user was successfully deleted, click OK.
This feature allows you to enable or disable any GUI accounts on the system, including the default admin and service user accounts. The Enable and Disable features require the Manage Users privilege to be checked within the Admin Functions section. If all users with Manage Users privilege are disabled, changes cannot be made.
Caution: If you disable the admin user account, a warning message appears to inform you that if you disable the admin user account, you may not be able to fully administer the system unless another user with all privileges has been created and enabled. To restore GUI access, contact Quantum Technical Support (see Preface).
Note: If a user account is disabled, or an incorrect password is entered, the following text is displayed:
- Incorrect Username and/or Password
- Account has been disabled
- From the Tools >User Accounts page, select the user account, and then click Enable or Disable.
- When the confirmation message appears, click Yes to proceed, or No to return to the User Accounts > [admin name] page without applying the changes.