Run the NAS Repo Upgrade
Feature Upgrade Packages
Prior to the Appliance Controller 1.4.1 release, all upgrade packages are specific to StorNext NAS and are referred to accordingly within this documentation center. Beginning with the Appliance Controller 1.4.1 release, upgrade packages encompass all Appliance Controller features and are referred to as Appliance Controller upgrades within this documentation center.
To upgrade StorNext NAS from versions 1.2.2 or lower, you must manually update your software on each node using the NAS Repo Upgrade RPM. This RPM allows access to future upgrades, either offline from a local directory or over the Internet from Quantum's remote upgrade repository.
Why Do I Need to Perform this Step?
After running the NAS Repo Upgrade RPM, you have the option of upgrading from Quantum's remote upgrade repository accessed over the Internet. With this feature, you will no longer need to manually download the latest upgrade RPMs. Instead the Appliance Controller will be able to directly pull the latest version at your command.
You can still upgrade locally (without direct-Internet access). Going forward, however, all upgrade packages are signed, meaning that the public key — imported to your system from the NAS Repo Upgrade RPM — is required to install the software upgrade. You need to import this public key regardless of whether the upgrade packages are installed directly from Quantum's remote upgrade repository over the Internet or offline from a local /var/upgrade directory.
The NAS Repo Upgrade RPM does the following:
- Properly configures the Appliance Controller to access Quantum's remote upgrade repository (over the Internet) in which the latest upgrade RPM is stored.
- Imports a public key required to install the latest upgrade RPM.
- Download and move the applicable NAS Repo Upgrade RPM to the /var/upgrade directory. See /var/upgrade Directory.CentOS6 (supported on Xcellis WFE, G300, Artico, and MDC servers)
quantum-snfs-nas-repo-upgrade-1.2.3-5181.el6.x86_64.rpmCentOS7 (supported on the Xcellis WFD)
- Log in to the controller console as the sysadmin user or issue the
su - sysadmincommand to access the controller console.
- Run the following command to point the Appliance Controller to Quantum's remote upgrade repository and to import the public key required to install the latest upgrade RPM:
system upgrade local
- Proceed to Upgrade to NAS 1.2.5.
- You need to perform all upgrades on each node.
- Keep in mind that you will perform all configuration tasks from the Appliance Controller Console. To log in to the controller console, see Access the Appliance Controller Console.
- To access the version of the Appliance Controller or StorNext NAS that you are currently running, see View Your Current Appliance Controller Version.
- Each node generally takes less than 5 minutes to complete the upgrade, and in many cases, each node will complete the upgrade between 30 seconds and 1 minute. Because the upgrade process could briefly interrupt access, we recommend performing an upgrade when minimal disruption to file access will occur.