StorNext NAS allows network users to access data through the standard protocols of SMB (CIFS) and NFS. Through these protocols, users can access the same files and directories as users attached to the SAN. This configuration allows a choice of connectivity throughout the shared-access workflow:
- StorNext SAN attachment for high performance and low latency
- StorNext LAN for the best Ethernet performance
- NAS protocols for ubiquitous access, remote or local
StorNext NAS includes the following key features. For additional information about supported configurations and appliance compatibility, see the StorNext NAS Compatibility Guide.
StorNext NAS supports both SMB and NFS file sharing.
- SMB support is for SMB 1 (CIFS) through SMB 3.
- NFS support is for NFSv3 through NFSv4.
StorNext NAS supports the following methods of user authentication, making it easy to implement the software within a networked environment:
- Microsoft Active Directory 2008, 2012, 2016
- Apple Open Directory, OS X 10.5 and higher
- Local User Authentication
For both SMB and NFS shares, StorNext NAS failover automatically transfers NAS management services from the active master node to another node in a NAS cluster in the event that the active master node becomes unavailable. Through this feature, continuous access to NAS shares is possible because NAS management services can be run on any node within the NAS cluster.
See NAS Failover.
Load-balancing allows you to group several Xcellis WFE or G300 gateways together as a NAS cluster. Users connect to the master node within the NAS cluster, which then equally distributes connections to the other nodes within the cluster.
In addition, load-balancing ensures that if one of the NAS nodes in the cluster goes offline, its current connections will be rerouted / reconnected to another NAS node in the cluster.
StorNext NAS 1.3.0 and later is a licensed feature. Use StorNext 5.3.0 or later to activate the license.
- For Artico, the appliances are shipped with StorNext NAS licenses pre-installed.
- For Xcellis Workflow Director, aiWARE for Xcellis, Xcellis Workflow Extender, G300 Gateways, and M-Series Metadata Controllers, you must purchase add-on StorNext NAS licenses, and then install these licenses on each node running NAS management services.
- You can install StorNext NAS licenses using the StorNext GUI's licensing feature. See the License NAS in the StorNext GUI topic of the StorNext Connect Documentation Center.
If it becomes necessary to migrate a StorNext NAS environment from an Xcellis WFD, Artico, or MDC server to an Xcellis WFE or G300 Gateway environment, you will need to contact Quantum Professional Services for assistance.