NAS App vs. Appliance Controller Console
You can use StorNext Connect's new NAS App to configure supported NAS features, such as NAS share management and cluster creation. The NAS App provides a graphical user interface (GUI) as opposed to the command line interface (CLI) of the Appliance Controller.
StorNext NAS allows network users to access data through the standard protocols of SMB (CIFS) and NFS. Through these protocols, users can access the same files and directories as users attached to the SAN. This configuration allows a choice of connectivity throughout the shared-access workflow:
- StorNext SAN attachment for high performance and low latency
- StorNext LAN for the best Ethernet performance
- NAS protocols for ubiquitous access, remote or local
StorNext NAS includes the following key features. For additional information about supported configurations and appliance compatibility, see the Appliance Controller Compatibility Guide.
StorNext NAS supports both SMB and NFS file sharing.
- SMB support is for SMB 1 (CIFS) through SMB 3.
- NFS support is for NFSv3 and NFSv4.
StorNext NAS supports the following methods of user authentication, making it easy to implement the software within a networked environment:
- Microsoft Active Directory 2008, 2012, 2016
- Apple Open Directory, OS X 10.5 and higher
- Local User Authentication
A scale-out NAS cluster provides clients direct access to both SMB and NFSv3 shares from any node within the cluster. In addition, a scale-out NAS cluster manages both health monitoring and failover for the NAS cluster nodes. Of the supported StorNext NAS cluster configurations, scale-out NAS clusters offer the best possible performance and reliability.
In addition, scale-out NAS clusters support NAS failover for NFSv3 and SMB protocols. You also can take advantage of DNS load distribution to evenly distribute client connections to nodes within a NAS cluster, facilitating greater network bandwidth and better redistribution results after a NAS failover occurs.
See NAS Clusters .
StorNext NAS 1.3.0 and later is a licensed feature. Use StorNext 5.3.0 or later to activate the license.
- For Artico and Xcellis Foundation, the appliances are shipped with StorNext NAS licenses pre-installed.
- For Xcellis Workflow Director, Xcellis Workflow Extender, G300 Gateways, and M-Series Metadata Controllers, you must purchase add-on StorNext NAS licenses, and then install these licenses on each node running NAS management services.
- You can install StorNext NAS licenses using the StorNext GUI's licensing feature. See the License NAS in the StorNext GUI topic of the StorNext Connect Documentation Center.
If it becomes necessary to migrate a StorNext NAS environment from an Xcellis WFD, Artico, or MDC server to an Xcellis WFE or G300 Gateway environment, you will need to contact Quantum Professional Services for assistance.